Saturday, March 16, 2013

A good person

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
-Ann Landers

Olivia and I have had a very busy weekend hosting a garage sale at the Tabernacle. We finally packed it all away and were finally able to relax this afternoon when I realized that I had to go to Paris to pick up a couple of things. So I almost literally  had to drag myself and my little princess to town for a Walmart run and a Braum's burger. But I am glad I did.
As we were standing in line of a somewhat busy little Braum's, Olivia was busy chatting away as she always is. I was beat-down exhausted. So I started doing the little thing that I love so much that she and I started doing together when she was four months old in Guatemala. I pat her mouth and she hums. I know. EVERYone does this with their kid. But it was the first thing I taught her. The first time I cried with her. Right there laying on the bed in Guatemala with this new little baby. There's a video of it, you should see it some time. Anyway, anytime either of us start it, it makes us both smile. So to make a long story short, we were in our own little world, standing in line for a burger, oblivious to the world around us.
When we got to the register and began to give our order, the lady from the ice cream register walked over to tell me that the man in the ice cream line wanted to buy our dinner. I looked over and saw who appeared to be some sort of pastor, but one whom I'd never met. After an awkward moment trying to make sure that I understood, I thanked him and so did Olivia. He seemed to be such a gentle and gracious man. He nodded, smiled, and he walked away.
The girls at the register asked me if I knew him. I didn't. I asked if he'd said anything more. He hadn't. 
Perhaps he was paying it forward. Perhaps he recognized us as an adoption family. Perhaps something different. Either way, he made a perfect stranger's day. He made me smile, and he reminded me that there are still good people out there who do kind things for people who can do them absolutely no good. There are still good people in this world. 

I hope his story made you smile too. :)
Mel

1 comment: